I have given much thought to joining the Classics Club since participating in their Readathon in January. Several of my visitors that day encouraged me to become an Official Member, but I've been holding back for one of the silliest reasons there is: I didn't want to make the reading list. (I also have come to hate writing book reports, but that's another post.)
Many of the bloggers I follow are Classics Clubbers and this week they have all been posting about their latest project -- the Classics Spin. Everyone is choosing twenty books from their TBR Lists and on Monday, February 18, one number will be chosen at random for clubbers to read during February and March. Now I could easily just choose one book from my TBR shelf to read in February and March and achieve the same thing as the Classics Clubbers will. But what makes it fun is being part of a community that's doing it all together. That's what I'm missing and that's what I want.
So without further ado, here is my Classics Club list, a combo of my Books To Die For Project and 52 Books In 52 Weeks. I will choose 75 books to be completed in the next three years (target ending date: December 31, 2015). I will use the top twenty books listed as my Classics Spin choices.
- The Moonstone (Wilkie Collins)
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles (Arthur Conan Doyle)
- The Maltese Falcon (Dashiell Hammett)
- Murder on the Orient Express (Agatha Christie)
- Farewell, My Lovely (Raymond Chandler)
- The Moving Toyshop (Edmund Crispin)
- The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Carolyn Keene)
- The Franchise Affair (Josephine Tey)
- Strangers on a Train (Patricia Highsmith)
- The Tiger in the Smoke (Margery Allingham)
- Cover Her Face (P. D. James)
- The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (John le Carre)
- Endless Night (Agatha Christie)
- The Glass Sided Ants' Nest (Peter Dickinson)
- A Judgement in Stone (Ruth Rendell)
- Gorky Park (Martin Cruz Smith)
- Possession (A. S. Byatt)
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson)
- The Woman In White (Wilkie Collins)
- Cat Among the Pigeons (Agatha Christie)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes (Ray Bradbury)
The target date for finishing up the Spin book is April 1. I will see everyone at the finish line.
Happy reading ...